Welcome to Janet's blog - a place to stay updated on her status. Early Sunday morning on Sept. 30th, Janet had surgery to remove a kidney stone. A stent was placed, and the surgery was successful. However, the kidney stone had already caused a serious infection in Janet's body. Hours after the surgery, she went into septic shock and acute respiratory distress.

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Celebration!


Oh wow, what a difference a day can make.  Janet has most definitely turned another corner.

It started early this morning when she began nodding her head and squeezing on command in response to questions.  She began focusing better and just being more and more alert.  At one point this morning, the day shift nurse asked Janet to give a thumbs up sign and she wasn't able to do it.  It wasn't long, however, before the nurse asked her again and this time he got the sign he was looking for.  To the nursing staff, this meant that Janet was ready to have the ventilator taken out.  Woo hoo!

The vent and the feeding tube came out about eleven this morning.  Janet has just continued to respond more and more as the day has gone on.  She is talking!  Her responses are short as I'm sure her throat is sore and her mind and body must be exhausted as it works to sort through what has happened.  This evening as the night shift nurse was asking Janet questions about her name and the month and the year, etc. - poor Janet looked really frustrated when the nurse came to the question asking about where she was and Janet started to respond "hospital."  The word "hospital" seemed to get stuck in her throat and she made a face...  I don't think Janet had this scheduled in her day planner.

Clinically, Janet's liver enzymes are markedly improving and her ammonia level was normal today!

It's so wonderful to see Janet's family rallied around her as she becomes more and more coherent...

The nurse tonight was going to let Janet try to get some good sleep.  They will do a swallow test to make sure she's ready to eat and drink.  They will be getting Janet out of bed tomorrow and at least into a chair.  I think Janet is quickly going to be graduating out of the ICU to a regular hospital room... probably not tomorrow, but soon. 

Our dear Janet is back.  I think we can all cry, laugh, celebrate, and most definitely thank God together.

4 comments:

  1. Tears of joy streaming down my face as I read this! Such amazing, extraordinary, awesome news!! God is good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a relief to my heart today to see your eyes, hear your voice and hold your hand today dear Janet. Caring and holding all the feelings with you...God is near.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am beyond ecstatic & thankful for the miracle you have worked,LORD God. I miss my dear friend and I want to be there to hold her hand and let her know how much I am celebrating her life.Will some one please let Janet know why I am not there! I am in DC for one.5 more weeks! Will someone give her my cards and gift, too, when you think she is ready? Will someone let me know when I can call her or text her?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy,
    I am going to see her in this morning after I drop off the kids at school. I will tell her! I don't think she's ready for phone calls yet, but she will be soon...
    Love,
    Chandra

    ReplyDelete